Here are the wines:
1. 2008 Mas de Gourgonnier Rosé (Les Baux-de-Provence, Red Blend) Purchased at , $17 + tax (pictured left, above)
- Color: Scarlet. Beautiful color.
- Nose: Cranberries, orange peel. Nice nose.
- Taste: Cranberry, blood orange; some alcohol shows up on the finish; full-bodied rosé.
- Taste with BBQ: Pairs well with simple dry rub on the pork & chicken, and hides some of the alcohol on the finish.
- Color: Pastel pink.
- Nose: watermelon (evolving into pink grapefruit over time), steely.
- Taste: Pink grapefruit; chalky; balanced; easy drinking.
- Taste with BBQ: quenches the heat of the chili; refreshes the mouth.
UPDATE, Day 2:
The Gourgonnier has lost the alcohol on the finish and really developed into a clean, focused and seamless integration of strawberry, minerals and saline. One of the best rosés I've ever had..... Wine is a moving target!
The Atmosphere has begun to fall apart just slightly, but is still drinkable.
In round 2 the winner is clearly the Gourgonnier.
Leave a comment: what’s your favorite local pink wine that you’ve had recently?