Sunday, November 8, 2009

Recession Syrah


During this recession people are eating out less often and drinking more value wines. I'm no different. So when I was browsing the selection at my local merchant the staff brought a French Syrah to my attention priced at $9.99. (Based on Wine-Searcher here this wine is at least twice the price anywhere else.) My first reaction was: how good can it be for $10? Then I also remembered that my (tiny) cellar is Syrah-heavy right now. But when the staff described it to me it sounded like my kind of wine: Syrah from the Languedoc, shows garrigue, etc. Although I was skeptical, I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. Here are my notes:
2005 Chateau Maris Minervois La Touge (France, Languedoc, Syrah)
Nose: candied black cherry, black currant.
Taste: black cherry, garrigue, black currant.
Overall: medium bodied, balanced, great right out of the bottle--no decanting necessary. Would definitely pair well with roasted fall vegetables, pot roast, etc.
Rating: 90
This is a Syrah that I'd enjoy anytime--recession or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment